Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Power of Food

My mom always said “Don’t tell a man any bad news before dinner.” This I have found to be good advice. My husband always comes home hungry, and I always have his dinner ready before he arrives. It makes for a better evening.

As for the kids, I have just witnessed a 180-degree turn around in their attitude and behavior after feeding them dinner. My two sons arrived home on the bus and went over to play cars on the cars rug. Immediately, my tired un-napped three year old starting crying, and there was yelling and arguing. I sent one child upstairs, then still some more crying from the three year old. Nothing seemed to be working. I brought Thomas upstairs to try to put him to sleep, maybe a late nap is better than none? I brought Joe back down and the two older kids started playing some board games.

After a few minutes, I started getting some questions about dinner. I got the meatloaf into the oven a little late, because the baby was tired, and had to be nursed. So by five they were all getting loud and starving. The three year old was back downstairs, refusing to go to sleep again. There was arguing, and short tempers, and repeated, “Mom, he…(insert problem here)….” I was starting to get worried. What has happened to my family? I wondered where have I gone wrong? I thought I had taught them well, taught them to share, and be nice or at least civil to one another.

Eventually, my oldest couldn’t wait. “Where is the meatloaf?” he asked, rather shortly. “It’s coming, it’s cooking,” I told him. I brought out the side dishes, and made a box of mac and cheese to tide them over. Joe sat down and started eating. He told his brothers dinner was ready. He was still a little grumpy, but his empty tummy was filling up. I made some suggestions about being nice, about talking kindly to each other, about not yelling and caring about your brother. When he finished eating, he said, “Now I am going to read some books.” Ok with me.

I started feeding the baby her jar food. I looked over into the living room. Joe was sitting nicely, reading a book to my three year old. So sweetly, showing him the letters. How kind I thought. These are my wonderful children. He is teaching his brother, and they are happy together. It amazes me how I can have such opposite emotions toward my children in such a short period of time. How I can go from hopeless, to delighted, all in the span of a few minutes.

Now they are making music together. Playing on the keyboard, making songs. There is cheerful talking, excited conversation. I love my children, I can be proud of them, now that they are fed.

I sat at the dinner table and made myself a list.

1. Put Thomas down for a nap by two pm.
2. Have a good snack ready before the school bus arrives.
3. Have dinner ready by 5 pm.

I don’t know if I will follow it. Things don’t always go according to plan. Some days then come home hungry, and will eat a snack. Other days they will wait for dinner. In any case, food makes everything better. And naps help too.

No comments: