Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Playgroup

Today was the first day of my new playgroup. My 10 month old daughter met her first friend of her same age, and they sat on the floor and played together. A baby a few months younger was nursing next to them. In a few months, he will be on the floor playing with them. The three of us Moms had never met each other before, but it didn’t matter. We got along fabulously. How could we not? We were sitting here with three babies, watching them play. Two of us had three year olds present. One of us said we have a three year old who’s in school today. Maybe we should have the playgroup on a different day of the week so he can be there. We talk about our schedule. We say we can do that. We are flexible.

I know that my daughter will grow up with these babies. That she will see them every week. When I say we are going to see your friends, she will think of these two children. One of them already has teeth. One is a little younger than her and has not tried baby food yet. We mothers are paying close attention, and will discuss each of these matters and milestones over the next few months. We will get to know each other and we will become friends; over tea, and water, and animal crackers.

My first Mommy friends, some of which have moved away, some of which I have moved away from, are from playgroup. My very first playgroup was the most care free. There were three of us, each with one baby. The other two moms had actually met each other in child birth class, that’s how far back they go. They are still friends today, 7 years later. They live on opposite sides of the country now, but can find each other over the phone, or on Facebook. I can find them there too. We look back, and we remember what life was like with one child. How hard we thought it was. We were there with each other, when each of us became pregnant with number two. We hugged and congratulated each other. We gave each other baby clothes. We looked forward to playgroup day each week. A few months into that first playgroup, I met another mom at the playground. Her daughter wore a helmet as we pushed our babies on the swings. I asked her what it was for and she explained it was for a plagiocephaly. She was nice and I asked her to join our playgroup. That was all it took, she fit right in.

I was sad when I moved to a new town away from my friends. I was close enough that we could still get together, and meet once a week or more for a play date. But I felt distant, like I needed some more friends in my new town. I looked around, I searched the Internet, but I couldn’t find anything. I asked around and someone mentioned a regional mom’s club. That sounded promising. I called and talked to someone and they told me about a playgroup in the next town. I went to the host’s house on the appropriate day. There must have been about 20 or 30 moms at the playgroup, and they all new each other. A couple talked to me but I felt overwhelmed. I didn’t go back - this was not quite what I was expecting.

About a year later, I heard that my town was starting it’s own Mom’s club. Great! Something local. This is perfect. Apparently, we had a Mom’s club years ago, but it had disbanded, and joined with other towns. But now we were getting our own. Fabulous. I went to the recruiting meeting at the playground and I signed up. I anxiously waited for the first meeting.

A few weeks later, I got a phone call about joining a playgroup. The lady and I chatted and found out we had two boys the same age. She said she was placing me in her playgroup, and I asked her if she waned to get together before the planned meeting so the kids could meet each other sooner. She said sure, she was hosting an activity at her house next week, so I was welcome to come. That is when I met her; my first mom’s club friend in my new town. We have been friends ever since. She has since moved away, but we still get together.

Since then, we have been in many playgroups. Some were large, others small, most lasted about a year or so. Some stopped when kids went to preschool. Some stopped when one of the moms got a job.

In one of my small playgroups, we began hugging each other when we arrived at the host’s house. Every time we got together, that was the first thing we would do. We were so happy to be together, and to share our weeks news. We discussed things about school with our older kids, and things that our younger kids were doing. We discussed everything. I was a little sad when that playgroup ended because one of the mothers started a new job. But the three of us still get together occasionally, at the playground, at one of our houses, or at least on the phone. I know these women will always be my friends.

So today, it is with joy, that I look upon my new playgroup, and watch my daughter play with her new baby friends. I know that this is a special time, to smile, to laugh, to enjoy. These new mothers will become my new friends and our children will become friends too. It will all happen at playgroup.

No comments: