Friday, November 21, 2008

Chess

My son almost beat me at chess today. He gave me a good game. At one point, I thought I was going to lose. I made a mistake, and he got my Queen. Later, he was careless, and I got his Queen. Then I got his Rook. I could see him getting distressed. “Mom, you are making moves like the computer.” I am? I did not know. I don’t play computer chess. He does. When it’s his turn to play a computer game, he will go to Chess Titans first, and play a few rounds. Then he will go onto to something else.

I know he will beat me some day. It might not be next week, maybe not next month, but soon. I will be proud. Because when he wins, it will not be because I let him. It will be because I put up my best fight. He will win on his own merit; he will outwit me, and I will be glad. Maybe I should brush up on my skills and play some Chess Titans. After all, I have to be prepared for my son. I don’t want him to beat me too soon.

No comments: